We’ve Been There…
Let Us Be There For You

Family Reunification And Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Suppose you came into the United States before you were 16 years old and have continuously lived here since June 15, 2007 – without legal status – and meet several guidelines. In that case, you might qualify to request a deferral of removal action for two years. While individuals seeking to remain in the U.S. under the Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals (DACA) may be eligible for work authorization, this status does not grant lawful status. It is not a long-term solution to family reunification.

Understanding DACA

Under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) DACA program provides relief from removal action for up to two years for individuals under the age of 31 with no lawful or an expired status as of June 15, 2012, and who meet one of the following:

  • Are currently enrolled in school
  • Have graduated high school and have a certificate of completion
  • Have received a general education development (GED) certificate
  • Honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. armed forces or the U.S. Coast Guard

Individuals must not have any felony or significant misdemeanor convictions, or any parole actions must have expired before June 15, 2012.

Compassionate And Knowledgeable Immigration Representation

DACA status cases are highly complex. It is best to discuss the benefits and potential disadvantages of seeking deferral action through this program with a knowledgeable immigration attorney. Depending on your goals, there may be other immigration programs that would better suit your needs, especially for family reunification.

At Villegas Law Office, PLLC, we are passionate about helping our clients achieve their goals. Drawing from our own firsthand experience of going through the frustrating immigration process, we offer caring and experienced representation for your immigration needs. Call our office in Harlingen at 888-816-7782 or send us an email to arrange for a consultation. We help clients throughout the nation.

Free Resource